Monday, January 19, 2009

Inspired by Flickr

Per the 12 secrets, this week, I think, will be all about what and who inspires me creatively.

Okay… so I may be a bit of a Flickr-o-phile, a Flickr-holic, a Flickr-apostle possibly (?) but I just really do LOVE it. To me it is the artist community/home I have never known. It is communing. It is support, exposure of one’s craft in the loveliest circumstances, feedback, influence, shared ideas, challenge, collaboration, trust…

I like it there…. and here too. Since my post guilt, many have responded with logic and reason, as well as emotion, which has helped me to see that the issues around copyright and plagiarism are complex for all of us who write or blog about other artists. I feel grounded in the knowledge that many of you feel the way I have felt about sharing other’s work here. I mean no harm. I give credit where credit is due. I take seriously the issues of ownership of images, and I respect others’ wishes. When I can easily ask for permission to use an individual’s images in an effort to promote that individual, I will. When I’m using tools that flickr members can easily opt out of, I will assume they are okay with that, but pledge to promptly respond if anyone should have a complaint about their images being used in any mosaic I create.

Now… the eye candy.. the inspirations (not already mentioned in these pages) I find and fall in love with everyday on Flickr.

Vicky Slater ~ Sweet Distin

3208553131_361c67f2a2_o

Nick Burns ~ Soda O

3208583481_48e59ca9d7_o

Jen ~ danske

3208603045_aa44746697_o

Arcane

3208619635_b451b08362_o

Really, that was just the tip of the iceberg, and I thought this would be a virtually endless post, but I’ve underestimated how much time it takes to put these together, one after another. So, instead of wearing myself out, I vow to do more of this in the future (the highlighting of individual Flickr members that inspire me). It will be easier to get prior permission, when needed, on an individual basis too.

5 comments:

lisa said...

yes! I completely share your feelings about flickr (and blogs!) being the artist community I never had. we are so lucky.

Lisa said...

Oh it is so amazing the artist community online. You lose alot by not being in person, and yet there is such a wider reach and ability to find so many kindred souls. We are so lucky indeed.

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

flickr is a wonderful place to see, feel and share creativity. definitely a place of inspiration! thank you for sharing some of your favorites! (do you read their blog to I presume? I just love five questions! talk about making one think and explore...

Anonymous said...

Many people have mentioned flickr, but seeing your mosaics have shown me WHY there's such a draw to looking there for inspiration. Must go check it out for myself.

kendalee said...

oh Rachel, these are gorgeous! Thank you for the introductions to some amazing artists. And for combining their images with that talent that you have into some beautiful mosaics... beautiful.