Tuesday, December 9, 2008

swinging

I'm trying hard to get back into the swing of things here, and elsewhere in my life. But, I've been having way too many chocolate milk is the only thing to make me happy kind of days lately. Not that there is anything of substance to make me blue. It's just the ever present struggle with clinical depression and anxiety. Oh, did I never mention that I'm chemically unbalance? Hunh. That's weird.

I wanted to share with you all a couple of happenings in my über talented, beautiful, audacious sister-in-law, Juanita's life. She is one of those genius type people who combine a passion for science (in this case environmental), with a penchant for the artistic. Recently she has been focusing her super powers toward book writing.

First off is Climate Change from Pole to Pole: Biology Investigations:

51sWRb49eCL__SS500_

I am so in awe of this accomplishment I hardly know what to say.

Second is Coastal Wetland Critters Coloring Book.

il_430xN_48587272

The paper used is between %100 and %30 post consumer waste (meaning it was recycled after it had been used by a consumer instead of being recycled manufacturing waste) and is from  a company that uses 100% wind power.

il_430xN_48586913

Her illustrations are just beautiful, don't you think?

il_75x75_48587024 il_75x75_48587330

One of the things I have always liked about her attitude toward animals is that she holds respect for them all, not just the cute and cuddly.

You can get your very own copy on Etsy.

She will donate $1 of each purchase to a non-profit organization working to save Louisiana's coastal wetlands. And, if you're a teacher, you can get this item for half price!

3 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Wow, Rachel! Both books are incredible accomplishments. She has earned my admiration as well, and I'm definitely going to check out her book on Etsy. Thanks - great post, Rachel.

kendalee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kendalee said...

Amazing accomplishment! How wonderful to combine artist with scientist in one body... wish it happened more. Great talent, beautiful illustrations!

Hope you're looking after that yen for chocolate milk comfort too - I can relate to this having struggled with clinical depression all my adolescent and adult life (mid 40's now) and all I keep doing when I'm in the doldrums is reminding myself that the wheel will turn... And drinking chocolate milk until the swing returns. Hang in there.