Monday, June 15, 2009

sensitive

But maybe if we are surrounded in beauty
Someday we will become what we see

So please be careful with me, I'm sensitive
And I'd like to stay that way

-Jewel

human made flare

I’ve been thinking a lot about how emotional I am, how much turmoil I roil upon in my mind at any given time. I’ve thought, for so long, how it was evidence of damage, issues, wounds still unhealed. But I’ve begun to realize (read as hope) that it has more to do with the fact that I’m a very sensitive person. I knew that as a child, but I’d thought that the hardness of life and the calluses that have to form as a result, had grown over my heart forever. I’d no idea that they were being pealed away. So when I feel I automatically think of it as pain, because it is so deep and so personal. Maybe it’s not pain, but the robust spirit of emotion that is so intense in us as children. Maybe it’s coming back to me, thereby bringing myself back as well.

Anyway, it’s just something I’ve been thinking about.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this way of thinking.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

"Robust spirit of emotion." Lovely, Rachel. Yes, I also like this way of thinking.

Jennifer Stotz Murphy said...

Emotional sensitivity is often linked to an introspective nature and deeply-held values, both good things.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I have no doubt that the skin between you and the world is translucent and permeable.

Embrace it and fill the well with joy.