Monday, October 6, 2008

Something different

I've enjoyed doing small collages using junk mail catalogs off and on for the last few years.

I started doing them out of frustration that I couldn't paint while I was pregnant (all those nasty fumes and chemicals in oils paints and solvents).

I fell in love with the sculptural feel of cutting out the images with my Exacto knife. I also love the puzzle quality to putting all the pieces together to develop a mood or feel.

I go back to it now and then, when I feel the craving for those aspects of creating that I don't get from Photography and Photo altering.

Recently, I decided to do some smaller versions with the idea that they could make for interesting greeting cards.

I always wished5 card

"I always wished fervently
to produce such a perfect jewel."

slower than an embrace3 card

"slower than an embrace, more urgent than a call
trying to catch his face against the last twilight.
the inch between them melted into darkness."

I also decided to add some random text from a novel (The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald) that helps evoke a mood that is complimentary to the feel of the collage.

It seemed nothing1 card

"it seemed nothing to smile at him
the burden of tearing herself away
was heavier and more unimaginable.
He was sorry for her now-sorry for them both."

I don't know if they will sell or not, but I've had a lot of fun putting them together. And, really, that is the whole point, right?

life flared high2 card

"Life flared high in them both-
like people on the shiny surface
into the range of human kind again"

If you're interested, you can find them here:

Etsy banner

Each is unique, will never be reproduced, and are perfectly suited for framing as well as giving. They all come with a complimentary envelop that also has some imagery and a bit of text.

3 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

You are such the artist, Rachel. I envy you and admire you all at once. Peace.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Funny...I was just reading this again and forgotten I'd already left a comment. Your artistry is amazing.

Rachel said...

Debi, you are so kind. The encouragement goes far and I thank you.