Sunday, May 20, 2007

a sibling ~



I have a long history with the coast. I've lived near it my whole life. I was brought to it by others when I was very young and so never chose it so much as it was chosen for me. I can't see myself ever living very far from it though I don't know that I would say I love the place. It would be like saying I am a fan of air, or the sky, or just being. The coast is a fact that has always been true. On occasion I learn to see it anew, and appreciate the opportunity I have been so fortunate enough to take for granted. So, it is no surprise that I would go to it to learn to breathe and see when I have forgotten how. It's no surprise I would paint it and photograph it. It is beautiful, but it's not that which causes me great inspiration. It is simply a return home, an old friend, a constant, a sibling.

No comments: